Wednesday, March 04, 2009

God's Providence

This morning, while my son and I were spending some quiet time together, we started discussing the difference between a recession and a depression. One article I read defined a depression as,
...a downturn of three years or more with a 10 percent drop in economic output and unemployment above 10 percent...
Another definition says a depression is a sustained recession during which the populace has to dispose of tangible assets to pay for everyday living. For some families, that's happening now.
I explained to Jeremiah that if we are truly in a depression, then our reliance on God will need to be stronger than it is now. This is when I stumbled across this verse in Deuteronomy 9.

Deuteronomy 9:6
(6) Understand therefore, that the LORD thy God giveth thee not this good land to possess it for thy righteousness; for thou art a stiffnecked people.

God has promised to provide for our needs.
Philippians 4:19
(19) But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
He does so, not because I am so wonderful. God supplies my needs, not because of my own righteousness. God takes care of my needs because of His Goodness and His Righteousness.

Are we going to go through a depression like the one my mother and grandparents went through in the 1930's? I don't know. Yet, I do know, is if we keep our eyes on Jesus Christ and continue to follow after Him, He will in fact provide for our needs.