Sunday, February 24, 2008

Compassion

1 Corinthians 13:1-3
1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.


Over the past year, I had started praying that God would make me more compassionate to others. It's easy to build up a base of knowledge and facts, but if we don't have compassion for our fellow man, all the knowledge is not very profitable. This is why I believe the Lord has allowed my mother to slip somewhat in her mental faculties. I am no longer just responsible for paying the bills and driving the car, but now I have been required to get my mother to the bathroom on time, and clean up everything if I fail.

These struggles over the past couple of months has not only helped me grow spiritually, by developing greater compassion for Mom, but it also has opened my eyes to all those care-givers out there.

Before, whenever I had seen a CNA or Nurses Aide, I would not regard their work to be significant. Now that I am placed in that situation personally, I am humbled at their patience and fortitude. I never realized how much they are called upon to perform what initially seems menial but now is viewed by me as being extremely important in proper care-giving.

Right now, my mother is in the hospital and is scheduled to go into the Care Center for a while longer. If God allows my mom to come home again, I will more than gladly serve her needs, even if accidents do happen.

No comments: